Outstandingeducational achievement and four supporting pillars of the school
A. Outstandingeducational achievement
In recent years, in the Entrance Examinations for High School and University respectively, Huamei School has had great achievements. Increasingnumbers of graduates are admitted by key high schools and top universities at homeand abroad.
Starting from 2003, the school is accredited by theGuangdong Testing Center to be the Cambridge ESOL Testing Site. In thefollowing years, Huameistudents have continuously sat for ESOL’s General English Tests (i.e.,KET and PET for Schools), with the passing rate at 90百分比 for KET and 70百分比 for PET.
B. SupportingPillars of the School
a. Teaching staff - Gathering the elites from all overChina and foreign countries together
Huamei selects and recruits teachers nation and worldwide. Currently, there are 160 teachers in the Secondary School Division, amongwhom 8 are international teachers and 10 are Master’s Degree holders, and allhave obtained a Bachelor’s Degree. Meanwhile, the proportion of the teacherswho have achieved a mid-level professional title and above is 76百分比, among whom 28百分比have a senior professional title. Most of the teachers are middle-aged oryounger, vigorous, creative and dedicated. The ratio of teachers to students ishigh at 1: 7.
b. “Hardware” construction - Modern facilities
- Huamei has appliedelectronic information administration and teaching methods. The internet and intranet of the school are veryresourceful, the information channels are unblocked, and all necessarymaterials are in good condition. All theclassrooms and functional rooms are equipped with state-of-the-art multi-mediasystems. The Information Center is the department responsible for providing software platforms for exploring educational resources
,and offeringservice to the secondary school’s District Online Marking System.
- Advanced laboratory equipment, fully equipped multi-functionalroom and various activities centers. Physical, chemical, and biological labs areequipped in accordance with the standard of the First Grade Provincial Schoolin Guangdong. Huamei has also built history,geography, art and music functional classrooms, a calligraphy room, cooking room,pottery room, labor and general technology room, and a radio-making room with a“Sail-setting” broadcast station, and “Sail-setting” literature club, etc. Allof these functional rooms provide the students with modern platforms tocultivate their talents and reach their potentials. As well, the school alsoprovides standard swimming pool, 400-meter standard track and field sportsground, tennis court, gym and mini-golf training field to ensure students’physical development.
- Broad stages for social practice. AGeographygarden and an ecology garden provide some locations for moral education andlabor education attached to other units outside school and open various windowsfor the students to get to know the society and the outside world.
c. Curricula, serving to help students
to lay a firm foundation toreach their potentials and cultivate their individuality
- National & local curricula are implemented according to therequirements of the educational administrations of all levels. The purpose isto help the students build up firm foundation of knowledge and skills. In the HighSchool, community service and social practice, and also research study areimplemented consistently and effectively.
- School-based curricula: While assuring the quality of national andlocal curricula, based on the understanding of the difference in students development and needs, Huamei Secondary School makes fully use of theschool’s education and research resources, to explore and design specificcourses for our students, encompassing the four areas: featured internationalcurricula, academic development courses, student club and talents developmenttraining programs, and culture and psychological counseling programs. All theseprograms complement one another to help the students develop themselvesautonomously and well-roundly, and to form a good basis for serving society’sneeds.
d. Class organizational system—Small-sizedclasses and stratification teaching
Huamei Secondary School adopts small-sized classes and stratificationteaching methods, and try to truly actualize individualized quality educationfor every student. There are approximately 30 students in each class, theschool has implemented a system of homeroom teacher responsibility. A distinctive feature is classes set up in each gradeare based on students’ academic competence andtheir interest, such as the Cambridge English classes and Gifted Programclasses to better address the students’ needs.
In addition, based on the students’ intentions fordifferent post-secondary education programs, Huamei providesthe following programs for preparing for different University EntranceExaminations: 1) Specialty stream (e.g., P.E., Music, Painting) pre-course, 2)Pre-course for students from HK, Macau, & Taiwan, 3) Prep-program foroverseas students, and 4) Counseling and supporting service to studentsapplying for overseas universities.